Federal Work Study

Earn money toward college tuition and other education costs while gaining valuable work experience. The Federal Work-Study program offers flexible part-time employment opportunities that help you pay for college.



What Is Work-Study?

Federal Work-Study provides part-time jobs for students with financial need. Money earned through this work can then be used toward tuition, housing and food, books and other education costs. The program is available to undergraduate and graduate students who are taking at least six credits.

Most Work-Study jobs are located on campus, but you may also find off-campus opportunities. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study. Employers are approved by UAF’s financial aid office.





How to Apply for Federal Work-Study

Like most financial aid, Work-Study awards are only guaranteed for the current school year, which means you'll have to fill out the FAFSA every year you attend college. When you are hired for a university position, remember that this is a real job. It’s important to show up on time, notify your supervisor if you will be absent and fulfill your obligations.

Fill out the FAFSA

Federal Work-Study is available to students who show financial need and indicate interest in programs other than grants when filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Complete and submit the FAFSA at the Federal Student Aid website.



 Apply for a job

Search for Student Employee Positions offered by the university, select those you would like to apply for, and submit an application to the university. For most jobs, you will also be required to submit a resume and other documents and complete an interview.